Party Poms Tutorial

My newest favorite party decoration are tissue paper poms.   I first saw them on Etsy and was able to track down instructions on how to make them on Martha Stewart.  Since then I’ve made a bunch for different parties and they’ve been a huge hit!  So much so that the four I made for Stella’s birthday party are still hanging in my kitchen. When our friend decided to have a “yellow” themed birthday party I offered to make her some yellow poms because they were so much fun to make.

The poms are quite simple and inexpensive at just about $1.00 per pom.  I think they would make a great project for 6 years old and up with a bit of supervision. Here’s what the finished product looks like.

What you will need to make one large pom:

8-10 pieces of 20×20 tissue paper in any color, the pieces of tissue the fuller your pom will be

5-6″ of thick florists wire or flexible garden tie (I like the garden tie because it won’t accidentally tear the paper)

a bit of string to hang your pom with

scissors

something to cut the wire

First lay out all the pieces of paper you are using to make your pom.   Try to make all the edges even.

Next fold the tissue paper with approximately 1.5″ accordion style folds.  Make sure to crease the folds well.

Here’s what you paper should look like after it is all folded.

Now it’s time to cut the wire or garden tie.  You’ll need about 5-6″ inches of the wire.

Next find the middle of the folded paper and wrap the wire around and secure both ends, like this:

Now use your scissors to round both ends of the folded paper.  You could make spikes if you wanted a spikey pom.

Then fan the paper out like this.

Next, carefully separate half the layers of paper by lifting them upwards on one half of the pom.  This will create 1/4 of the pom.

Now separate The other pieces on the side to create the other 1/4 of the pom.  Half your pom is complete!  Now repeat separating the layers of paper on the other half and your pom will be done.

Just tie a string  to the wire and hang!

Enjoy!

Don’t forget to come enter our giveaway!

This entry was posted in DIY Project, Tutorial. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

lovely…we had a birthday here yesterday and these would have been sweet!

2. Posted June 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

How festive!!! I can’t wait to make these as a surprise for my son’s birthday next month:)

3. Posted June 29, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

What an absolutely fabulous tutorial! YAY! I’ve been wanting to make these for a long time, never knew how. We need this on the NaturalKids team blog (Emily can post it some Thursday perhaps!) Thanks for sharing this, Erin.

4. Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:08 am | Permalink

wow … they are gorgeous… must have made for a wonderful party!

5. Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Stunning!!!!

6. Posted June 30, 2010 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Wow, these bring back memories! My dad used to make these, but used a few layers of green and made giant flowers. When he showed me how, I made tons and filled up my room! I might just have to dig out some tissue paper now!!!

7. Posted June 30, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I LOVE this craft! I want to fill my house with these, for no particular reason! But where do you get enough of each color? There is usually only a few sheets of each color in a multi-colored pack. love, Beth

Posted June 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Beth thanks for stopping by!
    I found individual packs of one color at our local party store. For the poms I made for my daughter I just ended up buying two of the multipacks of paper and combining them to make Poms. The two multipacks I purchased made 4 poms. Happy pom making!

9. babish
    Posted July 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I use to make these when I was younger! Nice to see them still in the family! Grandma

10. Posted July 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

So beautiful, great tutorial! Thanks.