Beeswax lipbalm

I’m always amazed at all the different uses for beeswax- crayons, wood polish, modeling wax and the list could go on and on.  I noticed that beeswax is an ingredient in many of the commercially available lip balms on the market.

So I decided to give making beeswax lip balm a try.  The ingredients I used are common, chances are you probably have all or a majority of them in your home already.  If you don’t have beeswax on hand try your local farmers market- I bet they have a great local beekeeper like ours!

What you will need:

1.5 t of beeswax

3 t of coconut oil

4-5 Vitamin E oil pills

a few drops of essential oil (optional)

container to put your lip balm in

Melt the beeswax. You can either do this with a double boiler method or in the microwave.  I suggest using a container you don’t mind throwing out or only using for these type of applications.  Beeswax can be difficult to remove completely.

Once the beeswax is melted add the coconut oil and vitamin E oil.  I just pierced the vitamin E pills and squeezed out the oil. Then add a few drops of essential oil.  Please note that once you add essential oils do not reheat the balm in the microwave.

One you have added all the ingredients while the balm is still in a liquid state gently pour the balm into your containers.  You might want to put a towel under the containers to protect your table or counter tops.

Allow the balm to cool and then place the caps on your all natural lip balm! These lip balms would make great spa party favors or a perfect addition to a handmade bath and body gift!

This entry was posted in DIY Project, Tutorial. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 22, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

That looks so wholesome and yummy!

2. Babish
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to get mine! Hint! Hint!

3. Posted July 22, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you, I love getting to make great products!

4. Posted July 26, 2010 at 6:25 am | Permalink

I saw your link on The Magic Onions…I was just thinking about making beeswax lip balm the other day! I was considering adding coconut oil to the mix, maybe in place of the Vitamin E. Any idea how well (or poorly) that would work? Thanks for sharing your lovely tutorial! Oh, one more question–where did you find those little containers? They look perfect!

5. Posted July 26, 2010 at 6:28 am | Permalink

Oh, jeez…maybe I should read the post *thoroughly* before I ask questions! Sorry about the question regarding coconut oil…I’m up way too late and it’s obvious by my observational skills ;-)

Posted July 26, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Amanda I so know that feeling! No worries!

I containers I used actually started their lives as bead containers. Once I used up the beads I just saved them because I knew they would be useful sometime down the road. My husband would say I’m a pack rat, I say I’m well prepared!
    You can buy the little cosmetic containers online. Just try Googling “Lip Balm Containers” and you’ll find lots of different options. Hope you enjoy making lip balm!

7. Posted July 27, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

I love to make my own lip balm. Rosemary Gladstar has some amazing recipes. I love her face cream – which also has beeswax. Amazing beeswax, the scent so delicious! So easy to make.