From the garden, tomatoes

This weekend we were treated to the first full sized tomatoes,  heirloom costluto genevese, from the garden.  There truly are not too many things in this world better than a homegrown tomato.

The costluto genevese is one of my very favorite tomatoes.  I love the irregular lobes and the rich tomato flavor.

I decided to use my first tomatoes in my favorite  recipe.   This recipe is perfect for the hot days of summer when you can barely stand to turn on the stove, let alone stand in front of it.  Hopefully you have a bit of fresh basil around because if you didn’t know- tomatoes and basil are best friends forever.

What you’ll need:

A few ripe tomatoes from your garden or farmer’s market

fresh mozzarella

3/4 cup balsamic vinegar

a few leave of basil chopped coarsely

salt and pepper to taste

See it really is not that many ingredients.

First things first lets get the “cooking” out of the way.  Pout the balsamic vinegar in a small pot and turn on a medium heat.  Once it starts boiling turn it down a bit and let it reduce for 10 minutes or so.

While the vinegar is reducing slice up the tomatoes and mozzarella.  I like them in big slices but you can chop them into big chucks too if you prefer and more salad like dish.  Also, while your cutting up stuff chop up the basil.

While your balsamic continues to reduce arrange the tomato and basil on a plate.

Once the balsamic is reduced by about a quarter.   Let the balsamic cool and drizzle over the tomatoes and mozzarella.  Sprinkle with the basil and and salt and pepper if you would like.  Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Garden, Recipes. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I LOVE that dish! One of my favorites for sure. Your photos are beautiful – your tomatoes look fabulous!

Posted July 13, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jen! I think I wait all summer long to make this dish. It is so simple but so satisfying. I could make it all year around but grocery store tomatoes are just not the same!

3. Posted July 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

So pretty lined on the fence! I love tomato slices with a little sea salt for breakfast. I love the green as fried tomatoes, been experimenting to find a wheat free way to do!!

Posted July 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

I love them with salt too. Honestly I’m not sure if there is a way I dislike tomatoes. My youngest just eats tomatoes like an apple!

We use coarse cornmeal and flour for our fried tomatoes. I wounder if you could substitute a mixture of course cornmeal and fine cornmeal?

5. Posted July 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

YUM! Delish! We’ve tried to grow tomatoes every year here in the desert – they get eaten by bugs. We tried nets, bug spray, planting different flowers with the tomatoes….gardening in the desert is challenging. I miss our big huge east coast garden.

6. Leela Holliday
    Posted July 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I know so many people who “hate” tomatoes… this has to be because they have been raised on those things in the store that are called tomatoes… I love this recipe and I have you to thank for the fact that my daughter does too…now if there was only vegan mozzarella she might just eat it again! I think I will make this for Johns family this weekend, thanks!

7. Babish
    Posted July 13, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

This dish was wonderful the first time, but the leftovers (I hid them in the fridge! Sorry!) were amazing!!! the next morning on a slice of slightly dried bread (also leftover) soaking up the balsamic….YUM!
    Thanks for sharing the tomatoes with us.

8. Posted July 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

I can hardly wait for ours to ripen! So far, we have had only a few precious cherry tomatoes. I love the looks of your recipe.

9. Heather
    Posted July 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Ahhhh… one of my favorites, though I have never done it at home – it looks beautiful!!!
    *Oh darn* it seems that I’ll have to make it here soon. :)
    Thanks Erin!!

10. nancy
    Posted July 13, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait to make this recipe with my first tomatoes!!! Do you have any good homemade ketchup recipes???

Posted July 14, 2010 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I don’t actually have any ketchup recipes, I’m anti-ketchup. I’m sorry. Are your tomatoes almost ready?