here and there…

It seems as the less summer days there are the more there is to do around the house.  This weekend was full of busy for everyone.

This is what happens when you go away for a few days, the tomato fairy visits your garden and leaves bushels of colorful gifts.

So many tomatoes from tiny to monstrous, from striped roman to hillbilly.  Now a great majority of them have been blanched, chopped, food milled, cooked, seasoned, and canned and are safely tucked into our pantry awaiting the cool days of fall and frigid days of winter.

Blueberry season is upon us! We made these delicious blueberry pancakes from Smitten Kitchen for breakfast. If there had been any leftovers I would have eaten them for days on end.

Due to an unforeseeable car fiasco we also ended up with a new van!  I think Stella is in love with the fact that she no longer sits right next to Elliot since we mow have captains chairs.  She needs her own 5 year old space. I’m in love with the fact that the van has a place for my ipod!  Any good music suggestions to fill up the ipod?

We finished up a big wholesale order of rainbows, helicopters, and waves that is bound for Oz!

In the (much neglected) herb garden I found these sweet tiny Broadripple current tomatoes growing among the thicket of oregano. I have grown Broadripples every year but lost all my seedlings this year before they even got planted out.  I guess they love me as much as I love them so they came back on their own.  I guess there is something to be said for not weeding regularly!  Read more about Broadripple currents and the interesting place they came from here.

And last but surely not least are some beautiful orchids my Aunt Bit has grown.  She has amazing powers when it comes to orchids restoration. She buys forlorn and forgotten orchids in a sundry places and works her magic until they are restored to their former glory.  And while this picture wasn’t from this weekend I had to share it with you.

This entry was posted in Canning, Garden, Imagination Kids Toys. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 9, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

wow! those tomatoes look delicoius. and those orchids?? wow. what a skill – i’ve found orchids quite challenging to ressurect :)

2. Posted August 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

hmmm, I killed an orchid not long ago. So disappointed with myself. Your tomatoes look georgeous, I’m quite jealous, as I cannot get them to grow here. I’m going to try this fall (heat kills them).
    hmm, I sound like quite the murderer in this post!!

3. Posted August 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

OH and PS Congrats on the nice wholesale order!!!

4. Posted August 9, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Wow, those tomatoes! Sounds like a very busy weekend indeed :)

5. Posted August 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Yum! What a wonderful bounty!!!!!!!!!!!! All those lovely jars of sauce would make me long for winter. Take a rest today!

6. Posted August 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Beautiful harvest~

7. babish
    Posted August 10, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

MMMM! I can’t wait for chili or maybe lasagna made with the sauce!
    I did not even get a bite of the pancakes!
    The van is nice.
    You have worked very hard on the order ( I seem to remember walking in on a sea of rainbows one afternoon!)
    Can’t wait to taste Broadrippple currents!
    And Bit resurrects just about any plant that she get her hands on!!! She if gifted!

8. Posted August 10, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

You’re always a couple of weeks ahead of me in the garden! I just started canning tomato sauce yesterday. I received a blendtec blender for christmas this year…no more blanching and chopping. I just remove the stem end, chop into quarters, then blend the whole tomato. Unbelieveably fast…I did 50 tomatoes in about 5 minutes. The blender along with the food processor for chopping onions and garlic has turned my tomato preserving into a speedy process. I like the look of those currant tomatoes. I sent the link to my husband, who does all the seed buying.

Posted August 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

That blender sounds AMAZING!!!! I think that is going to have to be added to the holiday wish list! I typically save seed from the Broadripple current tomatoes so if you would like me to send you a few just let me know! They are a great tomato.