Fabric Acorn Tutorial

One of my favorite little bits of autumn are acorns. I love acorns in all sorts of fashions, from these sweet felted acorns from Sewn Natural

to this lovely acorn necklace (which is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry) from Bulls Eye Beads

The kids and I enjoy collecting acorn tops during our nature walks and park outings.  We have amassed quite the collection so I decided it was time to do some acorn crafting.

All you will need to make your own cute fabric acorns is:

acorn tops

stuffing such as wool roving or poly fill

fabric

thread

needle

glue

First you will need to trace a circle on you fabric.  The size of circle you will need will depending on teh size of your acorn caps. I used medium sized caps and made a 3.5 inch circle. You might want to play around with some scrap fabric to find the perfect size for your caps.

Next cut out the circle and then add a running stitch around the edge of the circle.

Now add a bit of stuffing to the middle of the circle.

Next draw the thread around the circle closed and secure the acorn body with a few stitches across the top.

Find the right acorn cap for your new acorn body.  When you find the perfect match add a bit glue in the cap and secure the body to the cap.  Allow you caps to dry and then decorate away!

Add them to your autumn center piece, put a few in a wreath or just add them to your nature table. I’d love to see the acorns you make, please feel free to link to an pictures you take of them in the comments!  HappyAcorn Making!

This entry was posted in Autumn, Tutorial, crafting. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 27, 2010 at 11:54 am | Permalink

great idea!! thanks for including our acorns here, Erin :)

2. Posted October 27, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

How cute are these? thanks for sharing the tutorial!

Oh, and I love that Acorn necklace, too! That is a new to me etsy shop – thanks for the introduction :-)

(heres to calmer skies in the hoosier state today, eh?)

Best wishes!

Posted October 27, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Your are welcome Kara! I hope you enjoy making your own acorns! I love those sweet little acorn necklaces! Mine is brownt my wonderful mother bought for me last year, it was her first Etsy purchase!

The sky is much brighter and the wind much calmer, thank goodness! Yesterday was a crazy day!

4. babish
    Posted October 28, 2010 at 1:03 am | Permalink

You have always loved acorns!! As a toddler you would gather them in Babish and Jadek’s front yard. When it was a whole acorn you would rush to give it to them as they sat on the porch.

5. Posted October 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Love the simple tutorial! Thank you!

~Amanda

6. Posted October 30, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial.
    Luciana

7. Posted November 2, 2010 at 3:07 am | Permalink

These are so adorable. Thanks for the tutorial!

8. Posted November 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Man, those are soooooo cute! And so (sew) creative!!! I love it! Thanks for the pictures!

~Samantha

9. Posted November 4, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink

What a great idea for scraps of fabric. Very cute.